Is the Platinum #3776 fountain pen with the music nib serious nibbage?
Check out previous episodes of Serious Nibbage:
Part 0: Defining Serious Nibbage
Part 1: Noodler’s Neponset
Part 2: Franklin-Christoph “Christoph” Music Nib
Part 3: Conway Stewart Winston
Part 4: Pelikan Souverän M101N Red Tortoiseshell
Part 5: TWSBI Classic
Part 6: Edison Menlo
Part 7: Pelikan Souverän M600 Red Stripe
Part 8: Marlen Aleph
Part 9: Montblanc Meisterstück 149
Part 10: Lamy Safari
Part 11: Kaweco Skyline Sport
Part 12: Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel
Part 13: Pelikan Souverän M1000 Green Stripe
Part 14: OMAS Ogiva Alba
Part 15: Sheaffer Legacy Heritage
Part 16: Kaweco 14KT Gold Nib
Part 17: KarasKustoms Ink
Part 18: Holiday Episode
If you’d like to sponsor an episode of Serious Nibbage and would like us to review a pen/nib/ink, etc, contact me through the contact page, or via email.
Note: Prices may have changed since this video was made, and pens may have been discontinued. Updated version coming soon!
In this video, I cover a number of ‘entry level’ fountain pens that are fairly cheap (ranging from about $3.30 to about $28.00) and that I consider to be good ‘beginner’s’ pens. Clearly, some of these are a bit more high end than the others, and the fact that they’re cheap does NOT mean they are bad pens!
For your convenience, I’ve put the pens with price indications and filling mechanisms down here, in the same order I discuss them in the video.
1. Pilot Petit1, $3.30, Pilot cartrdiges;
2. Platinum Preppy, $3.95, Platinum cartridges/converter [?]/eyedropper conversion;
3. Noodler’s piston-filler, $14.00, piston-filler fills from bottled ink;
4. Ohto F-Spirit, $16.50, cartridges (I think international cartridges will fit)/converter;
5. Parker Vector, $24.00, Parker cartridges/converter;
6. Kaweco Sport Classic, $21.00, international cartridges/Monteverde mini converter/eyedropper conversion;
7. Lamy Nexx 88 M, $28.00 [price went up!], Lamy catridges/Lamy Z24 converter;
8. Noodler’s Aerometric, $24.00, aerometric converter (supplied w/pen)/eyedropper conversion.
Something went wrong with the still photos at the end of the video. If you need high-resolution pictures of the writing, send me a message and I’ll e-mail them!
My review of the Platinum 3776 fountain pen with 14KT gold music nib.